Jan 21, 2010

Day 22: While You Were Sleeping


I really can't watch this movie with out tearing up. Before you throw something at your computer, let me explain, this movie is all really about Chicago. Most RC's take place in NYC and that is great because it constantly reminds me to love this new land I live in. But this movie, ah, this movie loves the town I'm from. And every moment in this movie, I'm remembering fun I had with friends on those very same blocks. I fell in love with my husband in that town. I learned how to be comfortable in my own skin in that town. It's a tough town. It's gritty. But it's great! And I miss it! Okay While You Were Sleeping, though flawed is sweet and lets just go straight to the checklist shall we?
  • Giddy: Every scene of Chicago! Besides that? We have saving the man you think is your dream guy, slipping on ice with his brother, the whole fricken family (seriously if families were really like this- my god I'd never dread going to holiday functions), and great lines like "It took a coma to wake me up, my family loves you, I might as well love you".
  • Lie: Sandra is lying to the whole family posing as the fiance to Peter Gallagher (Peter saved my life once, oh yes, mine and my best gal Sus- uh - a story for a different day but non plucked eyebrows and all, I love this man!).
  • Big Emotional Outburst: Lovely! Just beautiful! At the wedding in the hospital Chapel.
  • Dance Sequence: hrm... not unless you count the slipping on ice... which I don't so... no.
  • Wedding: YES! YES! 2! We have the hospital scene and then I start weeping everytime I even think about that scene of them in their wedding gowns on the back of the CTA at the Chicago Station pulling out of it and heading towards the Merchandise Mart!
  • Rewatchable: Yes. This one falls under the catagory of soo many times, I really don't want to admit how much!
  • Love: The beautiful rich guy, is not for you, the ambitious, humble brother who has potential but not already there is the right guy for you. Love is found while you are distracted by other seemingly more important things.
  • Fantasy: There is an actual lot of grit and real life in this movie. I've lived in Chicago and know how tough of a town it is, and this movie doesn't make it appear like a piece of cake (like most RC's on NYC do). I guess if there is a fantasy, its that there is this cool of family.
  • Journey of the Main Character: Ah Sandra, she doesn't have much of an arc other than discovering her fantasy guy is not nearly as great as the guy who is beside her through most of the movie.
  • Body Count: A lot of close calls: Peter and the fantastic Glynis but alas no.
  • Music Montages: I don't think so.
  • Strong Female: This is a bit of a tough call. Sandra is not wimpy or weak by any stretch of the imagination but she also has never gone traveling like she really wanted to do, or spoke to the man she is so "in love" with. She lets life happen. Tough call.

1 comment:

  1. I have so many lines from this movie memorized that I think I could actually give a one woman version of the entire movie.

    It's so fun to watch this and pick out peeps you know too. Well... maybe more so for me, since I've lived here my whole life.

    Fun fact -- when it filmed here, it was originally called Coma Guy. Kinda glad they changed the title.

    ReplyDelete