Jan 7, 2011

The Holiday


Holiday
So this isn’t a great movie, it might have been better with some different casting choices (I’m not sure I can believe Ms. Diaz as an all work no play kind of gal and Jack Black?! Really?!What is it with Hollywood and being fine with men being ugly or dumpy as long their funny but no way no how can that be the case with women) or perhaps even split up the two stories into two different movies but… well it’s got some good points (Jude Law and Kate Winslet) so… away we go:

• Giddy: Really, the pickings are a bit slim here but Jude Law pretty much anytime gets me giddy.
• Lie: There aren’t any major ones going on, nope.
• Big Emotional Outburst: Well of course we got 2 ladies heartbroken and taking off to different countries to break away from it so there are outburst to be had, but the one I believe usually comes at the end of the movie, the big emotional “I love you” didn’t really go down that path.
• Wedding: nope
• Dance Sequence: We have several! We have both of the girls doing their own little dances (I dance that goofy too all the time alone) and we have a finale dance with the loves and kids.
• Rewatchable: meh
• Love: We have all kinds, the unrequited, the unemotional, the unavailable, the “we’re just friends but you might be good for me”, and the “I refuse to fall in love with you but can’t help myself”
• Fantasy: I’d love to jet off to England after a heart break, I’d love to have half as much money as Ms. Diaz has in this movie.
• Journey of the main character: Each girl goes off to get away from heartbreak and discovers all new love. But my favorite line in the movie sums it up for us all: Your Leading Lady material, why are you behaving like the best friend”
• Body Count: nada damn!
• Music Montages/Soundtrack: Holiday songs are always a hit (until you’re listening to them for the millionth time because the damn radio started playing them Nov. 1st) But I do love Jack Blacks line to Kate when he says “If you were a melody this is what you’d be” he plays a sweet sad melody and then says “I used only the good notes”.
• Strong Female: Well I think if we had seen this done as intended by the writers, we would have seen one woman (Ms. Diaz) who is seemingly strong and got it all, money, career, nice house but learns to let it down a little and warm up to love and the other (Ms. Winslet) who is run over by every person because she allows them to, learns to stand up for herself and demand the treatment and love she deserves. But… alas… we don’t really see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment